The Greatest Teacher

Assalamualaikum WBT.

Today I want to share a class with you, I like to call it 'sharing session'. I have been attending this class every Friday night for the past 3 years since I started my Ph.D. I have benefited a lot from this class.

This class called "English Language; British Culture & Intellectual Thought for Malaysages", held every Friday from 6.00 to 8.00 pm. The aim is to help Malay students in the UK improve their English language and better cultural insights required by current affairs.

Back in Malaysia, I was brought up in a 'safe' environment where I was not exposed as much to the 'world'. So, when I first came to London to do my Master's, I was a bit of culture shock. My first 3 months were quite tough; first to catching up with the language (their British's accent) and secondly adapting to the culture (social and way of thinking). But, sadly back then, I didn't know about this class, so I managed the adaptation process on my own with the help of friends around me, but it was not easy.

Then, I came to London again to do my Ph.D. This time was not as hard as when I first came here. But, new challenges await, I am in a group full of English colleagues. So I knew, I need to learn more about British culture and the English language and most importantly learning how to acquire wisdom. One day, my housemate took me to attend this class, and during the first class, I was like "oh!, this is what I need and what I have been looking for!".

The class is not just about grammar, the typical syllabus that we usually learn in our English class. This class is very different. It's more than that. It’s actually more on training you to think wisely and intellectually - including lessons on British history and culture, English literature, public speaking, and discussion about global issues. It helps shape your mind to think and see the bigger 'world' from a better angle and perspective.

Another interesting part of this class is the post-class time (dinner). This is the time to share study-related issues or anything else. The good thing being part of this class is, you get to mix with other postgraduate students from other universities. So, as a first-year student at that time, I loved listening to their stories and advice on how they cope with the journey since they were in their mid or final year of P.h.D. And I also really enjoyed listening to others who are studying for master's degree in various fields (Psychiatry, Psychology, Management, etc.). There were amazingly inspiring. And the most interesting part is our teacher; Uncle is always there too. So it feels like we have a mentor who guides us throughout our journey.

Uncle Yunus is a great man with words of great wisdom. I love every piece of advice coming from him. One of his advice from our recent class:

...

We must learn to enjoy what we have,
We must feel what we want to do and are going to do what we want,
Positive feelings are very important,
Life promises you nothing, 
but what's important is what you want from life?
Your personal attitude is very important,
Be a good man, not just an intelligent and rich man.

...

Uncle Yunus is Dato' Yunus Rais,
Former teacher of SDAR,
Founder of SELS College London,
JP FRSA FCIL MEd BA BSc (Econ)
M.Ed, Barrister, Dip TEFL, Dip Edu Research

...

Being far from family, sometimes you do miss the time sitting on the same table with family and close friends, listening to their pieces of advice and talking about life. And having an uncle and other friends in the Malaysages's class fills out that missing part of my life. And they have helped me a lot in my P.h.D journey. I must say, I have managed to cope with the journey, thanks to them; my inspirations, my ears, and my Sifu. Thank you all. Missing all the alumni. There are all go back to Malaysia to give back to the very thing we owe to society. Very happy to hear updates from others from time to time.

Here are some of our pictures and activities together:

Sept 2017 - 2nd Year Ph.D. - Farewell Syed (From left: Dr. Nor Khonisah, me, Dr. Atiqah, Dr. Norhayati, Uncle Yunus, Syed, Ain, Dr. Rahimah, Dr. Amalina, Solehah)

Sept 2017 - Our last class with Kak Yati

Sept 2017 - Farewell with Kak Yati at Melur

July 2018 - The Athenaeum Club; The club was founded as a meeting place for men (and women) who enjoy the life of the mind. Members of the Athenæum have won a Nobel Prize, totalling over fifty-two at the last count, including at least one in each category of the prize.

Sept 2018 - Gathering with Kak Yati (She came to visit us from Malaysia)

Sept 2018 - The King and I Musical - Suggested by Uncle

Sept 2018 - We went to an afternoon tea session with Tun M after he won the election (From left: Dr. Haniff, Dr. Ashiela, Dr. Amalina, Pn. Zaharah, Uncle Yunus, me, Ain)

Dec 2018 - Welcoming new members Dr. Fafa (left) and Liyana (right) to our class. We were showing Uncle's Kirby poem.

Jan 2019 - Another Farewell; Haniff, Shiela & Sofya

In the future, I hope to write more to share what I have been learning from this class. May it benefits more people and that is also part of my self-revision. Semoga di berikan kesempatan dan keberkatan masa, InshaaAllah.



Thank you all.


Nur Hayati Jasmin
East Finchley
22.06.2019
17:07


Continue...

And today, though it's hard, though I can barely stand on my own, I have to let you go, but you will remain in my heart. I will always remember all your advice:


"If you are hardworking, you will go up
If you stop hard work, you are reaching your limit".

"If you have a point or question, ask, or else you will be a failure. 
Nobody will ever get the best question and perfect timing.
Do not hesitate to ask questions and voice out your point. 
Speak with energy and talk freely".

"You will never grow if you can't see the good side of everything"

"You grow inspirationally nit physically
You must have the ability to adapt and inspired".

"Key to success: 
They know what is good for her and kept it. 
Being rational all the time. 
Well planned and intelligent".


You will be forever remembered as the Uncle, as the great man with words of great wisdom...


Nur Hayati Jasmin
East Finchley
14.08.2019
17:24

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Uncle

Dato Yunus

Norhayati and Syed; Two Lovable Malaysages