The Uncle


I was looking for a place to do my highest degree,
This busy city was the last place I could imagine,
Little did I know I would cross path with someone,
And that relationship stayed for 3 years and 10 months.

I came to a foreign land with a foreign culture,
Even the language I knew sounded so unfamiliar,
I found comfort in his teaching that decoded,
Of many things that seemed peculiar.

With his stimulating ideas,
I started to view things with a critical mind.
I learned from him not to feel complacent with the status quo,
For I should not just follow the tempo.
He reminded me that entitlement is nothing,
For I should strive for everything.

The journey of unlearn and relearn my thinking habits,
Was hard in the beginning, but it was worth trying.
Though admitting faults in my thinking hurt my pride,
The changes it brought to my outlook couldn't be described.

You trained me to become an original thinker,
You showed me the way to become a Machiavellein fighter,
You encouraged me to be a giver,
You inspired me to become a great teacher.

I can't thank you enough,
For teaching, your friendship and your mentoring.
You will always be remembered,
As the uncle who taught me the meaning of living.



Dr Atiqah
16.08.2018


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dato Yunus

Norhayati and Syed; Two Lovable Malaysages